4 x 4 Overland Tour Driver
Posted by Zion Adventure Company on 01/31/2019
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Guide
Country: United States
Job Type: Part Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
Application Deadline: February 11th, 2019 for positions starting March 25th, 2019
We are currently accepting applications for 2019 positions.
We are seeking gregarious, entertaining, and intellectually-strong historian and geologist type characters, who are savvy vehicle drivers with some off-road driving experience. This combination of diverse skills is used as you navigate our 2012 Mitsubishi Fuso 4 wheel drive vehicle on dirt roads, mesas and drainages of the southwest Zion Plateau, offering interpretation on flora, fauna, human history, and geology along the way.
- Age Requirements: Minimum of 23 years of age by March 25th (vehicle insurance requirement)
- Minimum Required Certifications: Current First Aid and CPR certification, or Wilderness First Responder; Taxi Endorsement for Driver’s License (requires a written test at DMV)
- Must acquire Utah Department of Transportation Med Card (requires physical with doctor who does UDOT Med Card Exams)
- Desired Skills & Experiences:
- Ability to be engaging and polite
- desire to learn and share that knowledge with others
- experience leading a tour
- Some familiarity with the area preferred but not required
- Driving courteously, avoiding risks which could harm passengers, vehicles, or the environment
- Enhancing the Overland experience by further developing and improving the tours
- Building an impressive knowledge base of the recreation opportunities, roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
- Helping connect clients with other ZAC guided events, outfitting for the Narrows, or other Zion activities
- Maintaining the tour vehicle for cleanliness, fueling, fluid checking, and communicating maintenance needs to the vehicle fleet manager
- Solving problems with grace and efficiency
- Educating clients in the principles of Leave No Trace travel
- Offering knowledge, anecdotal stories, and interactive communication with clients on flora, fauna, geology, local history, and natural history during tour routes
- Facilitating meaningful, helpful, informative, and pleasant conversations with customers
- An astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
- Free use of company rental gear for personal recreation days
- Free tuition for ZAC guided trips and courses in canyoneering, climbing, mountain biking, hiking, and road biking
- Work with an incredible team connected individuals dedicated to a high quality of life for themselves and our guests. We want the same for you. Unlike cubicle neighbors, we get to know each other. Our staff want each other to be great, to pursue excellence in all we do, to support each other, be supported and deliver a high level of performance every day.
- Pro-purchase opportunities from many outdoor equipment manufacturers
- Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park
- Opportunity to work outside
Dates of Employment:
March 25th-December 1st
Overland drivers work about 5 days a week. The work schedule depends on demand for the tours. We offer one tours each day in the evening near the sunset. An average tour is about 2 - 2.5 hours.
Off season work may be available to extend the work season into year round work.
About Zion Adventure Company
Since 1996 we have been Zion National Park's premiere outfitters, educators, and guides - helping visitors experience Zion like no one else can. We embrace the opportunity to connect visitors with adventure in the area which extends to many realms. This includes guided trips in canyoneering, rock climbing, mountain biking, 4X4 Overland tours, hiking and backpacking. Our rental and retail store specializes in equipping visitors with anything they may need to better enjoy the area from friendly knowledgable staff. We rent out equipment for the Zion Narrows as well as other slot canyon adventures requiring specialized cold water equipment and help assist bicyclists with bike rentals, and information to enjoy the park on two wheels. We are passionate about providing an exceptional level of service to others and strive for excellence in everything that we do.