Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Ecommerce Management, Management - Product, Management - Sales, Merchandising, Purchasing
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Contact Name: Rob Little
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 10 miles
WHY CAIRN IS AWESOME
Cairn is changing the way outdoor enthusiasts discover new products and ideas that inspire them to connect and explore. Since the company’s founding in early 2014, Cairn has grown from shipping product out of the CEO’s garage to a market leader and growing community of outdoor enthusiasts numbering in the thousands. Cairn has partnered with over 200 brands in the Outdoor industry, shipped over 2M products, and was named to Outside Magazine’s Best Places to work for 2017. In 2018, Cairn added Gear Up, Give Back™ to its offerings - a program that facilitates recycling of outdoor gear and apparel (with all net proceeds being donated to charity). This spring, the company launched the Kitted by Cairn beta program, an industry-first, try-before-you-buy retail experience for outdoor products. Cairn is located in beautiful Bend, Oregon.
Does getting “dressed up” mean layering up and heading outside, no matter what the weather? Are you the one all your friends look to for advice on gear? Are you ready to take on the challenge of inspiring thousands of people to spend more time outside, testing gear, and providing valuable insights back to brands?
This is an excellent chance to join a young company that is pushing the creative retail envelope in the Outdoor Industry. This Product Manager role (a.k.a Product Guru) is a gear junkie's dream job. Bend is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise and now you can work for a company that embodies the Central Oregon lifestyle. So come on, we can’t wait to see what you can accomplish with us!
- Build out the assortment selection for all of Cairn’s product lines, with the appropriate pricing, category/brand mix and seasonal selection.
- Curate product by working with brands across the industry to discover new and innovative products in several categories: gear, apparel, food/energy, skin care, and emergency/medical.
- Build long-term relationships with brands to keep Cairn top-of-mind as they are developing new products and/or marketing plans.
- Analyze data and provide insights for brands and constantly improve the experience for our Cairn community.
- Influence a successful and quickly growing startup. Your voice and ideas will be welcome. We’re serious — we can throw out some pretty crazy ideas in our brainstorming sessions.
- Collaborate with an awesome team! Roll up your sleeves and work side-by-side with the founders and the rest of this creative and synergetic team.
- Have fun and geek-out over outdoorsy gear and more.
A candidate will be successful if they have…..
- 3-5 years of professional work experience. Relevant industry merchandising and buying experience preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising, Product Management, Marketing or Business.
- A keen eye for great product, a healthy dose of skepticism about performance claims, and a willingness to get out and test.
- Love the outdoors and have a developed awareness of product and market trends in most/all product categories in the outdoor industry.
- Have a proven ability to lead assortment planning.
- Are skilled at data analysis, tracking and managing KPIs, metrics, assortment planning, margin management, etc.
- Show excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to juggle many simultaneous priorities.
- Are adaptable and enthusiastic with whatever is needed. You may find yourself fulfilling orders in the warehouse if an extra set of hands is needed.
- Display accountability and scrappiness. What does this mean? You do what you say you will, you follow-through and you figure things out.
- Need to be prepared (and excited) that this is not a 9-5 position. Rome wasn’t built during business hours, and Cairn hasn’t been either. That said, we have an unlimited vacation policy — and expect that you get out and adventure, and test all the cool gear you’re vetting.
- Are a strong communicator and are able to prioritize and manage work to adhere to critical timelines
- Have INTEGRITY - We believe all relationships are built upon trust. We do what we say we will and are proactive about fixing issues when they arise. We don’t hide from problems. We earn trust everyday by delivering what we say we will.
- Are PLAYFUL - We take what we do seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. Discovering new experiences and ideas should bring joy; and a bit of humor helps people feel more at ease when entering new territory.
- Are THOUGHTFUL - We value the relationships that we form and how we can grow together and learn from each other. We listen and act on what we learn. Everything we do is deliberate with the needs of our customers and partners in mind.
- Are DEDICATED - We don’t let challenges or problems get in our way. We are scrappy and will always find a way. We deliver.
- Are PIONEERING - We are trailblazers. We’re not comfortable with the status quo, and will push to be at the forefront of the outdoor industry. We work to be the ultimate insiders, so our community can be the ultimate outsiders.
- Are a TEAM - This isn’t business, it’s personal. We’ve got each other’s backs, and are committed to making sure that our partners and community feel the same. Gather ‘round the campfire, friend, we’re ALL out here together.
- Made Outside’s list of Best Places to work (2017).
- Left successful careers around the country and congregated in Bend, Oregon, because living our passion is important to us. Our first “board meetings” were conducted on paddle boards.
- Offer fast-paced startup experience in a high growth company. What more could you want?
- Are building the world’s best Gear Closet filled with all sorts for cool gear for employees to use.
- Have great benefits - medical, wellness fund, apparel budget, pro-deals, subscription box budget and much more.
READY TO APPLY?
Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
Bonus: If you aren't right for the career but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a $500 bonus.
Totally serious—every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.