Apparel Technical Designer
Posted by Mahco, Inc. on 07/10/2019
Industry Sector: Fishing, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor, WaterSports
Job Categories: Design - Accessories, Design - Apparel, Management - Product, Production - Apparel
Company Type: Accessories, Apparel/SoftGoods, HardGoods/Equipment, Service
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
12.0pt;background:white'>The Apparel Technical Designer will be responsible for the block fit standards of the company’s brands, as well as execution of those standards on all garments. Creation of tech packs, and approvals of lab dips, trims, and garment samples is also key to this role. Additionally, this role will design outdoor apparel, using his/her merchandising and design experience to create designs under the direction of the Director of Product Management. This position may cross over into other product categories as well.12.0pt;background:white'> 12.0pt;background:white'>ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with executing product design process and work cross-functionally with product management to ensure that the team is successfully meeting business needs according to the seasonal timelines
- Develop fit specifications, complete size grading, construction details and a technical sketch from a prototype sample, photograph, or design sketch
- Spec garment, spec revisions, measuring and fitting
- Review sample garments to ensure optimum fit & appearance & correct construction
- Conduct fit sessions with live model Work as needed creating and updating sketches, creating tech packs, and coordinating samples
- Opportunity to design new concepts, styles, color boards and silhouettes
- Develop complete tech packs with detailed specifications, fabrications, and technical drawings from designer’s initial sketch
- Adhere to the product development calendar and production deadlines
- Full communication of product development and production with the overseas team
- Collaborate to understand markets and trends to identify new products while maintaining brand identity and business strategy.
- Participate in and perhaps lead initial concept reviews with sales and product development teams to confirm direction and priorities. Present graphic concepts, sketches and designs to internal product teams and management as required.
- Participate in and perhaps lead customer line review meetings.
- Research and identify seasonal color palettes, prints, patterns, fabrics, styles and details.
- Potential to approve strike offs, patterns, trims, and lab dips.
- Attend trade shows to remain current in the market, as requested.
- Four year degree in apparel design/technical design; OR comparable work experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in design/technical design. Soft-goods experience with a leading outdoor manufacturer is preferred, but not required
- Proven success in line-building
- Must possess a strong sense of the marketplace
- Must have fashion sensibility
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in Centric product life management system is preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Must be detail oriented; no exceptions
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and problem solving ability
- Ideal candidates show a high level of performance Exposure to Asian sourcing
- Team player
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and calendars
- International and domestic travel is required