Manager, Apparel Design – Outerwear
Posted by Marmot on 01/09/2020
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Apparel
Company Type: Apparel/SoftGoods
City: Rohnert Park
Country: United States
Required Experience: 7 - 10 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Position Title: Manager, Apparel Design – Outerwear - Marmot
Location: Rohnert, California
Reports To: VP, Product Development and Design
Summary: Newell Brands is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, learn, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial brands that matter while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation.
This is a job summary which includes essential job duties of this position. More specific information regarding duties may be provided upon request.
The Manager, Apparel Design is responsible for designing Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA) products and managing design team members with the brand’s consumer in mind. NBTA is a division of Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), a globally-recognized designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that includes Marmot® and ExOfficio®.
The Manager, Apparel Design elevates the consumer experience through superior product craft and pushes the limits of Design. The incumbent demonstrates expert understanding of products, product development process and the specific markets in which each brand does business. The Manager, Apparel Design demonstrates leadership that influences process changes. This position assumes a lead role in category for communicating and presenting creative strategies, product concepts and consumer insights to internal and external audiences. The incumbent manages other members of the design team and is responsible for the output and execution of designs by the team and managing any freelance support. This Manager, Apparel design will have their own workload of styles to design each season in addition to managing the workload of the team.
- Responsible for the execution of design creations, driving execution of designs across multiple categories and brands, partnering with Category Managers on creative direction and designing apparel that is brand appropriate, performance driven and meets the needs for the target consumer.
- Accurately determines, anticipates and validates future trends, technologies and cultural drivers to expand and grow the assortment across all categories.
- Drives innovation and technology into commercially viable product within the parameters of the Brand strategy.
- Accurately assesses the overall competitive market landscape to design brand appropriate apparel that reflects an understanding of the target consumer.
- Accountable for driving the business by building profitable, market right, consumer product that is in line with the department and company financial targets.
- Ensures product design execution is within target costs and margin requirements.
- Partners with sales, marketing, business development, key customer accounts and athletes to identify opportunities to meet or build consumer demand for each brands’ products, to improve market share through new fabric, construction and product concepts, and to develop seasonal strategies. Provides input to the VP, Product Development, Design and Retail for the development of annual and long-range business plans based on these opportunities.
- Researches and communicates industry and design trends that will influence the design process.
- Manages the execution and alignment of all designs and collections appropriate to the product and design brief.
- Manages the performance of all category design staff including any freelance designers.
- Actively manages professional development.
- University or four-year college degree in apparel/fashion design or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience designing apparel in the outdoor, active wear or sportswear industries
- Experience managing other Apparel Designers preferred
- High degree of proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign using a Mac computer
- Strong knowledge of technical and design needs to build exceptional product focused on fabric, fit and margin
- Practical knowledge of other functions such as sourcing, production, sales, marketing and merchandising preferred
- Extensive industry and consumer trend knowledge in the outdoor industry
- Experience working with factories and Product Development teams, developing fabric, technology and construction innovation
- Ability to effectively work with department executives, suppliers, engineers, and manufacturers to identify and develop new product concepts, innovations and construction technologies
- Proactive and passionate approach to driving fresh, innovative thinking from product concept to final execution
- Able to manage and lead change
- Able to mentor and guide/collaborate among cross-functional teams to achieve business goals
- Presentation/speaking skills – able to present and sell to all levels of the organization as well as the customer, communicating a clear and inspiring vision
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to precisely communicate and negotiate time frames verbally and in writing in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated collaboration, interpersonal influence, and teamwork skills (maintains effective communication and working relationships)
- Results orientation while exhibiting great energy and resourcefulness
- Self-starter who brings passion, enthusiasm and focus to each project
- Strong project planning, organizational and time management skills and a high level of initiative
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Able to manage to deadlines, be flexible with change, drive to timely resolution
- Proficiency in all Microsoft programs on a Mac
- Sense of humor and a passion for what you do
- Able to travel up to 20% of the year, including international travel to factories
Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA), a division of Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), is a globally-recognized designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that includes Marmot® and ExOfficio®.
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.