Posted by Neptune Mountaineering on 01/18/2022
Industry Sector: Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow, WaterSports
Job Categories: Management, Management - Team, Operations, Retail - Sales
Company Type: Accessories, Apparel/SoftGoods, HardGoods/Equipment, Retailer, Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Contact Name: Erin Johnson
Business Phone: 3034998866
Job Type: Senior Level
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
One of the finest outdoor specialty retailers in the country, Neptune Mountaineering based in Boulder, CO, has an excellent opportunity available for a General Manager.
This role provides respected and respectful leadership and direction for all staff while ensuring the growth and profitability of the store. This is a keystone role in continuing the success and solidifying the reputation of this beloved and iconic retail institution. The General Manager is responsible for overseeing all of Neptune’s operations – including all aspects of the company’s business strategies, organizational needs, staffing levels, achieving sales goals, customer service and visual merchandising standards, marketing and promotional activities, and growing the community culture.
We are looking for a confident leader who has outstanding people skills. Our ideal candidate is an energetic, independent go-getter who is not afraid to get in the trenches and inspire the retail floor staff but at the same time can act at the highest level as the representative of the owner, Maile Spung, of Ute Mountaineer. This is the top position in the company.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with the range being $80,000 to $100,000 for this position. When eligible for benefits they include health insurance, dental/vision, PTO and paid holidays, profit sharing, access to pro deals and discounts on gear and a fun, relaxed workplace.
The responsibilities of the role:
Sales & Marketing
· Develops the annual sales forecast/budget and sets monthly and daily sales goals and is responsible for attaining the goals once those budgets have been approved by ownership.
· Ensures sales targets are met and all costs and expenses are within budget; ultimately responsible for the profitability of the company.
· Works with the buying team to ensure that inventory levels are appropriate for store’s projected sales goals.
· Designs appropriate processes, training or methods that elevate our retail sales results, the customer experience and fosters employee motivation and engagement.
· Through oversight of the marketing manager, ensures that appropriate and timely marketing activities are executed to promote/support store events such as seasonal sales, anniversary sale, slide shows, etc. Directs and communicates the promotional cadence for the store.
· Communicates effectively with Store Managers and floor staff in advance of any store promotion or sale to assure necessary prep is done and that the promotion is successfully executed.
· Works closely with ownership, managers and buyers to monitor and analyze sales trends and suggest actions to respond to opportunities in the market.
· Audit existing systems, processes and procedures and implement continuous improvements to those systems.
· Create policies, procedures and guidelines as well as oversee their administration and execution.
· Develop operating budgets for owner approval and ensures expenses stay within budget.
· Act as the primary administrator for our POS system (Retail Pro) ensuring it is fully optimized and performing as needed; will be fluent in Retail Pro and will coach others to become more powerful users.
· Ensures efficient inventory management protocols are in place (e.g., receiving, shipping, tagging, merchandising of received inventory, adjustments, consignments, RTVs, damages/defects).
· Ultimately responsible for the IT infrastructure; works closely with our IT vendors on software implementation, upgrades and improvements.
· Effectively manages the sales operation team, ensuring the website is functioning smoothly and fulfilling orders in a timely manner.
· Manage accounting staff and external professional services contactors (e.g. bookkeeper, IT contractor)
· Maintains opening and closing protocols as well as processes for each business function.
Retail Inventory Management
· Utilizes sales data, inventory levels and turns, merchandise reports, margins, revenue etc. to provide insight into where there are successes and where there are opportunities; makes adjustments or improvements based on sound data analysis.
· Communicates assortment needs or inventory issues to the buyers to ensure sales potential is maximized and our customer’s needs are met.
· Ensures that the Buyers are coordinating with Store Managers on any new merchandising strategies and, that seasonal floor set changes are planned for and carried out in a smooth and timely manner.
· Responsible for maintaining and improving the excellent merchandising standard that sets Neptune apart and contributes to reaching the company’s sales goals.
Staffing and Development
· Responsible for hiring, training, reviewing and performance management of all staff.
· Ensures that onboarding, eligibility of benefits, payroll approval and off-boarding processes are accurate, timely and in accordance with the laws and our policies.
· Oversee all staff members and ensure training and performance are meeting expectations; lead and mentor store managers and buyers so they achieve their own leadership potential and learn new skills.
· Review and manage training protocols to ensure our staff have the tools they need to be successful
· Ensure floor staff has on-going product knowledge as well as sales and customer service training
· Makes sure that each team member is given feedback at least annually regarding their job performance and when appropriate is given an individual development plan.
· Implements employee recognition programs to bolster staff retention.
· Ensure store has adequate supplies for its day-to-day functions (cash register tape, price labels, shopping bags, shipping tape, etc.).
· Resolves maintenance issues.
· Responsible for store cleanliness and stock room organization.
· Proposes physical modifications to store, casework, and fixture designs that will increase operational efficiency.
Inventory Control/Loss Prevention
· Manage and oversee annual physical inventory and cycle counts.
· Oversee regular inventory counts; monitor and assist with cycle counts and inventory reconciliations.
· Accountable for meeting the company’s shrink goal by developing Loss Prevention standards and conducting Loss Prevention awareness trainings.
About Neptune Mountaineering
One of the finest outdoor specialty retailers in the country, Neptune Mountaineering based in Boulder, CO, brings together a great staff, and amazing selection of gear and apparel, a modern design aesthetic, and a rad history of mountain stories. In 2021, Neptune was acquired by the Ute Mountaineer based in Aspen. The organization is committed to being supportive members of the Boulder community, as well as great outdoor stewards. The staff at Neptune continue to seek out perfect rock, fresh snow, and dizzying heights all around the world. And sharing that passion for "all things outdoor" with new adventurers or fellow enthusiasts is what the staff LOVES doing!