Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Posted by Giro Sport Design on 01/26/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: Accessories, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation
City: Scotts Valley
Country: United States
Required Experience: 5 - 7 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Founded in Santa Cruz, California in 1985, Giro Sport Design relentlessly develops new ideas to enhance the Ride. From the first lightweight, high-performance helmets for cycling and snowsports, to apparel that reimagines what sportswear can be, Giro maintains a strong focus on creating products to enhance the feeling of freedom and independence at the core of a rider’s experience. As a leader in the design, fit and engineering of products that complement the body, Giro is the first choice of riders worldwide. Giro remains committed to serving enthusiasts with innovative performance products, driven by the knowledge that riding is the greatest part of a great life. As long as riders keep striving for better, Giro will keep making the gear that gets them there. www.giro.com
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer is responsible for designing and developing products of moderate to extreme levels of difficulty in collaboration with other cross-functional team members. This position will pair data-driven scientific methodology with a customer-centric attitude to develop products from concept through production. The ideal candidate will be someone who loves to ride and can apply their inspirations and passions to engineer and produce innovative products that continue to amaze our customers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the mechanical design of new products working in conjunction with the R&D team to combine function and aesthetics into market leading products
- Work closely with Product Marketing, Industrial Design & Development staff to conceptualize new product ideas based on an understanding of competitive products, market needs, and innovation.
- Manage CAD workload from design concept to start of production
- Create, prepare, and evaluate functional prototypes to verify design intent through virtual or physical methods
- Develop and evaluate product designs relative to applicable safety standards and performance requirements
- Work with outside vendors to ensure product manufacturability and quality
- Manage uncertainty and risk by having contingency plans and driving the decision making process
- Coordinate research regarding materials and construction for all projects
- Create and maintain design documentation such as engineering drawings, product and material specifications, bill of materials, etc. to assure quality in product designs
- Work with Product Developers to manage schedule, conduct cost analysis and quote new product designs
- Holds “specialist” role for the R&D group in at least one domain
- Provide mentorship to Junior Engineers and Interns
- Keep informed of the latest developments in the field by reading trade journals, individual contacts and attendance at appropriate meetings and/or trade shows
Education & Training:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Design or related field.
- 7+ years’ experience in a similar position.
- CAD experience required, preferably proficient in Solidworks. Pro/E and other CAD packages experience will be considered.
- Experience with manufacturing techniques including injection molding, composites and vacuum forming
- Skilled in the design of functional mechanisms
- Able to diagnose and perform defect analysis, and offer technical solutions to solve challenging issues
- Computer experience/knowledge of Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Good understanding of engineering analysis tools such as CFD, FEA, etc.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
About Giro Sport Design
Giro started in 1985 by creating the first ventilated, lightweight cycling helmet, the Prolight. Today, Giro is a worldwide leader in equipment for cycling, skiing, and snowboarding and the company's goods are worn by millions of riders around the world.