Firmware / Hardware Engineer
Posted by BioLite on 08/03/2022
Industry Sector: Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $100,000 to $115,000
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Title: Firmware / Hardware Engineer
Location: Brooklyn, NY (BioLite has a hybrid work model where employees are in the office 3-4 days per week.)
Reports to: Associate Director of Hardware Engineering
Compensation: Salary range is $100,000 to $115,000 depending on candidate experience. Our full offer includes benefits like fully covered healthcare, a company bonus plan, and equity stock options.
- Comprehensive healthcare plans (medical, dental, vision). BioLite pays 100% of monthly premiums.
- PTO and family leave
- Free One Medical membership.
- Community bonus plan and equity stock options.
- Adventure Stipend (after two years)
- Community engagement activities - we celebrate each other's wins and work as a team!
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our business serves two distinct markets, 1) developing-world families living in energy poverty and 2) outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and electricity.
BioLite believes in a bright and safe future for all, and that includes life at work. BioLite is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we strive to enable everyone to show up as their full selves. An inclusive environment and culture makes our solutions better and our entire team smarter. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
As a Firmware / Hardware Engineer at BioLite, you'll bring up robust, cost-effective, creative hardware designs that will bring new energy products to life and be used and relied upon by hundreds of thousands of off-grid customers around the world.
This role emphasizes firmware but strongly recommends hands-on experience with hardware. Candidates with a broad base in electronics and consumer products are most likely to succeed in this role. PCBA design experience is a strong plus.
- Learn and write firmware for low-cost microcontroller architectures such as ATtiny and STM32.
- Implement control systems, user interfaces, safety logic, and various communication interfaces.
- Debug and test your own designs.
- Practice and promote coding best practices, style, version control, etc.
- Review and inspect PCBAs in their native EDA software.
- Use the BioLite EE lab for basic rework and preparing test leads/adapters.
- Apply electrical engineering fundamentals (power, RLCs, switching).
- Use bench equipment (oscilloscope, logic analyzer, power supply, digital load) for test and development.
- At least 3+ years experience working on consumer electronics or similar experience.
- Proficiency with multiple microcontroller platforms.
- Proficiency in C for embedded systems.
- BONUS: Proficiency with an ECAD platform such as Altium, Eagle, KiCad, etc.
- BONUS: Proficiency in Python for host applications, scripting, and analysis.
- BONUS: Proficiency with C++ and lightweight RTOS.
Your application should include a PDF of your resume and cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this position.