The Position: Director of Development
A united community of competent climbers and healthy climbing landscapes.
To support our shared passion for climbing and respect for the places we climb.
We provide knowledge and inspiration, conservation and advocacy, and logistical support for the climbing community
- Chronicling climbing achievement and preserving climbing’s history
- Promoting standards for education and equipment
- Protecting the places we climb
- Advocating for American climbers around the world
- Providing logistical support
- Bringing together and welcoming all climbers
The AAC is America’s climbing club—and we want you to be part of it.
Later this year we are embarking on an exciting new chapter: a multi-million-dollar capital campaign that will take the AAC to new heights. The campaign will further develop our suite of programs (climbing education and public lands advocacy, for example) and fund our current strategic plan.
The new Director of Development will benefit from seven consecutive years of considerable growth in membership, fundraising, and donor development. Also, he/she will be challenged to accelerate forward momentum, successfully cultivate a growing base of member-donors, and manage organizational “growing pains.”
The Director of Development will be a dynamic leader and doer who is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing every element of AAC’s fundraising, including capital campaigns, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, and special events. The Director will work closely with the CEO, Managing Director, and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
- Establish effective communications with prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis.
- Lead growth of the major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Seek out grant funding, including: research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Help build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts, such as bequest expectancies.
- Lead the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Oversee fundraising special events including the Annual Benefit Dinner.
- Lead prospect research.
- Staff the Fund Development Committee meetings.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Supervise and collaborate with all fundraising staff, including: Major Gifts Officer, Events Manager, and Development Coordinator.
- Lead creation of publications to support fundraising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
The Development Director reports to the CEO and works closely with all staff as appropriate to meet department objectives.
Applicant Competencies/ Qualifications:
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers.
- Should expect travel time to build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Experience and interest in the climbing craft and lifestyle.
Applicants should include a description of any climbing experience as part of their cover letter and/or resume.
Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Major Gifts Officer
Job Location: Golden, CO
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 3-5 years
Contact Name: CJ O'Reilly